Saturday, June 05, 2010

Today without pictures

... and may be no translation in Bulgarian. I am having very intense time. Time for writing thesis, but also for the last month I've been to very interesting, exciting, freaking and breath taking events. I wonder what to start with... May be with BaBa ZuLa. They were here in Hamburg, from a Turkish cultural events. They played in Fabrik, and of course they rocked. It is good to have Turkish friends :) I appear on the first raw and enjoyed the show like I' saw it on my hand. In a way I regret I didn't use the opportunity to take photos, instead I gave my camera to Milena, and she/me did videos :) At the end of the concert, on one of their famous songs, Istambul cocuklari, which means, the children of Istanbul, their female singer started translating the lyrics... in Bulgarian. I was shocked. I doubted the language is Bulgarian almost until the end of the song! At the end, I couldn't hold my self and I went back stage. She happened to be not Bulgarian but Macedonian :) Elena Hristova is her name. We both were very happy to chat for little while and I am even more happy to add another artist from the balkans in my favorite list! The story for the languages is complicated and I will make no comment here. Instead I will link her own project which is called baklava, the web site is here. So that concert was great, but no surprise here. I was sure it will be the case.

Now I will follow the chronology of my excitation. The second thing that happened to me was a concert of the Secret Chief 3 (SC3) in Hafenklang. I confess I know nothing, or let say not much about this band. But in a way, I felt is interesting, what I managed to read, listen and understand from the web is they are mixing some rock sounds, with eastern touches. I arrived in the middle of the first support act, which happened to be their drummer also. The second support band- Fat32 from France, was a kind of surprise for me. That music made me high, dag deeply in my brain and made me SMILE :) I really freaked out, I liked it a lot, and couldn't avoid making associations with favorites like Naked City and Fred Frith. No claims here, is only my personal impression. A surprise for me was to find in the youtube, a live act of that band from Sofia. Surprise as the guy was not very happy with the gig in Sofia, he said, the venue was weird, and they received a good portion of professional Bulgarian body guarding, I'd call it. He told me that the security kicked out few of the young visitors of the concert. Bad, too bad. Whatever, if you happen to hear in your neighborhood about a concert of these two guys don't miss. The concert continue with the SC3. They played something like two hours or who looks at the watch on such concert. They played some sick, I tell you sick rhythms, something like 27/8+17/32-29/8. And perfect synchronization, sound and deep touchy, dark, WONDERFUL. My ears and my soul are satisfied to the last fibre. Couldn't help it and together with Juliana we bought two cds. We're still to decide which cd stays with who, but I don't mind both! The album which Juliana proposed, is called Book M, and one of the songs is called Combat of the Angel. The album which I proposed, is a bit slow, ambient, noisy and still great.

And at last, yesterday I went to the Short Film Festival. I do every year, this year, the previous two sessions I saw I was a bit disappointed. But last night's session was great. Especially a road movie from Patagonia, with a perfect editing and music. Milena made a research and sent me that video, from the same guy. The style is very much the same, one of the few cases in my life I regret I don't know French, the video

I hope you enjoy my little story! I am really full of energy to continue writing my thesis. Page 52!

1 comment:

Graeme Wilson said...

glad you enjoyed the show! i was given a babazula live cd (incl alex hacke) as a en christmas present for phase II :)